Thursday, November 15, 2007

Musée de Picasso

Weekend before last, I took a trip to the Picasso Museum. It was the first Sunday of the month, which means something very special: free museums! And Picasso is a little pricey because of the prestige, so I decided to take advantage of the free day. But then again, so did a whole lot of other people. Regardless, it was a nice place.

The museum was organized chronologically, I guess you could say. The exhibit was about the evolution of cubism, so they showed some preliminary works, followed by pieces influenced by African art, then dissections of drawings that led to cubist pieces. And there were lots of guitars: painted, sculpted, collaged. I think he found the guitar a clear example of how an object could be broken down into its parts and represented in the abstract.

The major problem with the Picasso Museum was the building's layout. I really found it difficult to find the last part of the exhibit. For the most part, I just followed the rest of the people, and occasionally an arrow pointing in the "sens de la visite". But at one point, I found myself going down 2 or 3 flights of stairs all at once, and then into a room full of sculptures that didn't seem to have anything to do with the exhibit. There were some interesting sculptures there, so I'm glad I stumbled upon it, of course. And that that feels how I found it- by accident.



Then I walked back upstairs and out to the front trying to find more. I was convinced that I couldn't have seen everything. I wandered around feeling foolish, until I found a sign that pointed toward the garden and café. So, on my way to the garden, I saw a room with more pieces in it. It led to a few more rooms, not a lot, but enough to make me feel as though I had possibly finally seen everything. Since I seemed to be done inside, I went out to the garden. It was kind of chilly, so I didn't stay long, even though it was completely charming in its simplicity.
From Paris, Fall 2007



There was another exhibit called Towards Guernica or something similar. That exhibit incorporated Picasso's works and a photographer's around the theme of war and violence. There was a photo exhibit on the Rwandan genocide. There was a comic that Picasso worked on attacking Franco around the same time as the bombing at Guernica. Unfortunately, the Picasso museum doesn't have the Guernica painting. It should be in the Guggenheim in Bilbao since that is in Basque country, but I'm not sure where it is at the moment. There was a large painting that Picasso did based on the atrocities in Korea. I never knew about that painting. It was quite touching. I shouldn't really be surprised that he would be active in protesting the Korean war. I mean, I do love the Picasso peace dove painting.

No comments: